Friday 25 May 2012

LIZ NJAGAH

LIZ NJAGAH, 30s
ACTRESS
Why she is a woman to watch: One of Kenya’s better known actresses, Liz has been in the profession for eight years. She ventured into a different industry for a while, before making a welcome return to the small and big screens. She has acted in Makutano Junction, Saints, a number of films, and is currently taking Nigeria and Africa by storm in her new role on Tinsel, a Nigerian drama series. We have no doubt that if she keeps up the spirit and discipline, it won’t be long before she heads off to Hollywood.
I lost my mother when I was 12 years old, and my dad later on when I was 24. But my aunt took us in when my mother passed on. Sometimes at Phoenix we would finish plays as late as 9pm and just like every other mother, she worried about my safety. She was worried acting had taken me away from home since I would spend less time at home. Right now, she is my biggest fan! She watches everything I appear in! When I took a time out from acting for a while, she alongside family and friends convinced me to go back into acting.
Right after high school, there was no money to take me to college so I got into auditioning for roles in set book plays at Phoenix theatres. I never anticipated being a professional actor. I grew up with dreams of being a lawyer or a singer.
I am currently working on a Nigerian drama series called Tinsel. My character is a controlling, bossy woman. When I heard about the auditions, I went and gave it my all. I was thrilled when I got a role!
Acting in Nigeria is different from the Kenyan acting scene. Acting there is taken more seriously. Nigerians watch their own shows and actors have support from the public, which I still believe is not the case in Kenya. Other than that, I have acted in Makutano Junction, Saints, All Girls Together, Behind Closed Doors, and a British production, to mention but a few.
Every time I meet someone and they learn that I am an actress, they always ask if that is all I do or if it is just a side gig. I swore once that I would scream if someone asked me that question one more time! I even posted it on my Facebook wall. Kenyans don’t support their own. They criticise even before watching. If only filmmakers could take advantage of resources at their disposal. Kenya has a beautiful landscape. No one has ever done a movie showcasing these magical sceneries. With support from the public and corporate sponsors, we surely can go a long way.
As an actress, you get to do and say things that you never would have dared in real life. Sometimes I get to play a husband snatcher, something I would never do in real life, or sometimes I get to play a control freak. You can get away with it because it’s acting and not the real thing.
The most difficult role I have ever had to play was in an Italian play at Phoenix theatre. I had to play a man’s role. It was the main role. I was still new on the scene and was acting alongside giants such as Charles Kiarie. I love playing the role of the beaten up woman who emerges strong in the end. My mother went through tough times but still came out strong. I have much respect for such women, in real life and in acting.
I love Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington, and not because he oozes charm (laughs), he is a great actor. Locally, I love Churchill. He is not necessarily an actor but I love the fact that he is using his talent to establish himself and succeeding at it.
I would have loved to star in the movie Salt, because of all the action and drama, and take Angelina Jolie’s role.
I wouldn’t exactly call myself a celebrity; I’m just a recognisable face … but my family love it. I have six sisters and we resemble each other. People usually stop my sisters at the mall or on the streets and ask, “Are you the girl from Saints?” and they say yes.
My future plans are to go to acting school and start my own production company. I want to make a stronger mark in the international market, get married and have kids, preferably two. I grew up in a family of 10, so I think two will work just fine. I have been seeing someone for one and a half years now.
I love singing. I have a karaoke machine at home. I also love dancing and reading. Currently I am reading Michael Shurtleff’s book called Audition: Everything an Actor Needs to Know to Get the Part. I would recommend it to anyone who is into acting. I am also involved in mentoring children at the Beijing School in Mathare slums with a couple of friends.
I am loyal. Friends and family often approach me for advice. Most people meeting me for the first time might think me snobbish but once we get talking, they find that I am a very down-to-earth person. My most annoying habit is that I procrastinate a lot. I wait until the last minute to do something.
Before I die I want to climb Mount Everest. Maybe start small by climbing Mount Kenya or Mount Kilimanjaro.
If you want to go into acting don’t sit at home and wait for an opportunity to present itself. In Nigeria, I see people go as far as Ghana to seek opportunities. And if someone wants to go into acting just for the money or fame, I have doubts that they will go far. Once you start, don’t look back.

No comments:

Post a Comment